Friday 20 November 2015

Christmas Downsizing

I just pulled my decorations out and was surprised by how little I have. I tend to be the type of person who collects and hoards but apparently not with Christmas decorations and this got me thinking...

It is great to have a house full of decorations during the holiday season but a small amount of well placed decorations goes a long way especially if you have a small home and not a lot of storage space. It doesn't have to look like an elf blew up in your house. Less décor also saves you time when packing it away for the season and also takes up less storage space.

Below are some of the things I do as a small space dweller!

The best decision I ever made, as the renter of a small apartment, was down sizing the Christmas tree. Don't get me wrong if I had kids and a house of my own I would probably pick the biggest, real Christmas tree I could find but for the place I am in now, my tiny tree is perfect. The tree I purchased also came with built in lights which means I don't spend boxing day trying to get them back in the box and I don't have to untangle them when they come out again. If you are concerned about the price of a small tree, swing by a building supplies store just after Christmas. I got mine for less than $20 at Lowe's.

Along with a tiny tree comes tiny decorations which again means less space being taken up by your décor during storage time. Be selective and keep the ones with meaning and only a few others for filling in the empty spots.

I also have a small fabric wreath. It just gets shoved in with the rest of my ornaments and actually acts as a pad so nothing gets damaged. The benefit to my fabric wreath is that it is not easily damaged so I don't have to worry about having a special space just for it.

I also have a couple linens and a handful of ceramic decorations for the counter and coffee table but that is about it. It is simple to decorate, easy to put away and small to store.

Let me know how you decorate your small space!

For those of us who can't seem to down size, check out our Christmas organization tips.

No comments:

Post a Comment