Saturday 21 November 2015

Organizing your Car

If you are anything like me, your car doesn't stay clean for long. I am constantly trying to figure out where to put my groceries while still having what I feel is essential to have in my car such as jumper cables, a change of clothes, seasonally appropriate attire and an emergency kit. I am sure a lot of my space problems have to do with the fact that I use my car as a toilet paper storage facility because I don't have room for it in my home (I tend to over buy when it is on sale). Bonus - if you are ever with me on a road trip, you don't have to use a leaf.
 
The first idea seems like it would be great for anybody who has kids. I find trips, with the children in my life, go much better when they have something to occupy their time. By installing a shoe organizer to the back of the front seats, you provide ample storage for your kids road trip goodies. It also provides extra space for storing car necessities.
 
 
To help reduce the spread of garbage and keep your car tidy, invest in a cereal container to use as a garbage can. Store garbage bags at the bottom of the container so that you always have one when it is time for a new one. This method makes it easy to quickly remove trash from your vehicle.
 
 
Use silicon cup cake liners in your cup holders to help catch crumbs and drips. It also makes it easier to clean out your cup holders, just remove the liners and clean.
 
 
To avoid making your trunk a giant pile of stuff, invest in an organizer. You can get ones in all shapes and sizes or get custom ones made specifically for you trunk. I really like the stretchy mesh that you strap to the underside of the trunk door or across the front/back of your trunk. They help keep items such as umbrellas and sporting goods easy to access while assisting you to keep the main trunk area clean.

 
 
 
Or try your hand at making a fold open shelf to help separate the items in your trunk. Visit Instructables for directions on making your own.
 
 
Use a small accordion file folder or binder in your car for all your important documents and receipts you may need later. This keeps everything in one place but also reduces the likelihood of receipts being lost under the seat or thrown away.
 
 
 
Let me know, in the comments, how you keep your vehicle organized! 
 
 

4 comments:

  1. All fantastic ideas, Marie. My fave is the cereal container for the garbage. It's always so difficult to figure out where to put the garbage bag!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard of using a paper bag because they are free standing but this way if something is damp or has liquid in it still, you don't find it on the floor!

      Delete
  2. Definitely going to use the Silicon cups idea!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to buy some for Shawn as a Christmas gift! Hopefully he doesn't see this comment...

      Delete