Friday 20 November 2015

My Attempt at Closet Organization Using my Own Advice!

To go along with my post about organizing your closet, I took photos of my recently cleaned closet which I cleaned using the tips I shared.  I forgot to take a before picture but you can probably imagine what it looked like before I added the bins, hooks, etc. I hope the pictures inspire you to get started on that pesky front hall closet! (Sorry they are dark and sometimes fuzzy)
 
This is as good a look as we can get of the whole closet - it took two of us and we had to stand in the apartment building hallway to take it! Thank you, friend, for holding the door open for me! I would like you to notice the tidy floor - that is an absolute first for me!

 
I used a cabinet from the bedroom to store the shoes! They used to be in 1 ft. square bins on the floor, but so was everything else, so it usually got muddled! We originally got the shelf from Zeller's for out kitchen. It has been repurposed a lot as we moved, depending on the storage and size of our apartments.
 
 
 You can't read my labels but the say hats, gloves and purses. The unlabelled ones are car cleaning supplies. You would think our vehicles would be cleaner with that much cleaning stuff, but they aren't. The shelves, I used to help me stack my stuff, are actually old shoe racks. I took the middle shelves out of them and voila!
 
 
This is the inside of one of my bins. I used the clothes storing tip to make them easier to see. I love it and yes that is a Pikachu toque!
 
 
 I also used clear shoe box sized bins to store scarves and hats. The pile of black in this picture is nicely folded winter snow suits. I don't hang them during the off season because they are so bulky. I would have used a bin but you can't get one into that corner.
 
 
There is also a lot of sports gear. Skis, golf clubs, squash rackets, tennis rackets, badminton rackets, helmets, knee pads....you get the point. They used to be strewn across the closet floor but now they are easily seen and accessible. I used Command Hooks in various positions to hang helmets, rackets and skis and tucked the golf clubs behind the coats where nothing else will fit. I plan on getting a bin to stick to the wall for all of the different balls.
 That little grey thing is an air freshener. They are also stuck on with Command's adhesive strips used for the hooks! I have them hidden everywhere to keep it smelling fresh.
 
 
I then used the floor space, that was no longer covered in my junk, to place bins. I haven't made labels for these yet. They are full of scrapbook supplies and winter boots.
 
 
Here are more pictures of my hung up stuff! (I decided to grab a light at this point).  The ironing board isn't hung up but that is because it is very heavy. It is solid wood. If you don't have a wood ironing board, keep a look out at garage sales. This one was $15 and my family swears by them!
 
 
This broom is actually on the back of my folding closet doors - I ran out of wall space....oops.
 
And last but not least, the outside of my doors. These are for hanging up my backpack, purse and coats I use every day! I love these hooks, that go over the door, because you can move them where ever you want without leaving holes everywhere!
  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment