Sunday 22 November 2015

Room by Room - Bedroom

I have a small bedroom - which can be seen in the Before and After posts from organizing my bedroom. The biggest difference for me was changing the paint colour and reconfiguring the layout. I also decided to replace the clunky old furniture with items that fit better in the space.
 
 
Another thing I did was take advantage of old furniture by taking the upper drawers of my old dresser and utilizing them as under the bed drawers. If you look closely, you can see the handles under the bed. If I had the floor space, I would have used the larger drawers and made storage crates like the ones seen in the picture below. 
 
 
You can also optimize under the bed storage by making your own bed platform using cube shelves. This way you can optimize under the bed storage space and create a fantastic bed frame.
 
 
You may also notice in the photo of my bedroom, that the side table is a chest. I decided to use the chest because it served as storage as well as a table and a conversation starter. Originally the chest was lined with painted paper and smelled old. To see how we transformed the inside to maximize storage a practicality, visit the Revamped Chest post.
 
 
To optimize floor space, you could get your bed off the ground with a loft bed. That way you can use the newly found floor space to create a walk in closet or an office space.
 

 
Another great way to optimize space is taking advantage of your closet space. Visit our posts Organizing your Closet and More Closet Organization for tips and tricks to maximizing your closet storage.
 
 
I also took advantage of the space under my dresser and built a nice wood box to store extra items. For us it was toilet paper because I moved our toilet paper cupboard from our bedroom to the front hall for our shoes. We built this drawer the same way we made the insert for our chest. See Revamped Chest for more details.
 
More ideas to come! Which is your favourite?

2 comments:

  1. Drawers from an old dresser...amazing idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was really happy when we realized we could do it!

      Delete