Wednesday 18 November 2015

Organizing your Mind

Now this might be a little far from what this site is actually about but if we are being honest, our mind's just don't seem to be big enough to remember everything we want to. Over the last four months, I have been making a concerted effort to manage my time and because of this, I have found a bunch of helpful tips that you may enjoy.

My favourite tip - if it doesn't need to be done immediately, write it down. It will stop you from trying to constantly remember unimportant details that are distracting you from your current task. I always carry notebooks around with me. Even better, seeing as so many people have smartphones these days, download apps to help you keep everything in order.

I have a shopping list app that lets me organize my shopping needs by store and I rarely forget to buy eggs anymore!

If you can get it done quickly, just get it done. I am the last person to say this is easy because sometimes it is easier to procrastinate but like above, if you get it done you can stop it from distracting you from the task at hand. Plus, it gives you a good feeling to getting something done and who doesn't love that.

Even if you can't get it done quickly, do it ASAP. For example, I tend to wait until the last day of the weekend to do homework but then I spend the whole weekend concerned with finishing my homework which ultimately ruins the fun. If you get it done right away, you won't be stressing about it later.

You can colour code your calendar. By doing so you can determine, at a quick glance, how many things you have to do and what their importance is. For example, if your calendar is full of bill payments, birthdays, paydays, due dates and appointments, it can look overwhelming. If you colour code it, it may still seem overwhelming but you can tell as soon as you look at it that only two of the tasks are due dates and the other five are birthdays - which for me is relieving.

Take time to do something you enjoy doing. You don't have to spend every hour of every day getting things done. Even if it is a single hour at the end of the day to read a book or watch a show, it will help relax your mind. Just be sure whatever you are doing keeps your mind off what you have to do. For me it is doing a craft!

Well, this may not have been as enlightening for you as it was for me but these actions have really helped me organize my mind.

What do you do to keep your mind organized? Share in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment