Tuesday 10 November 2015

Organizing Your Refrigerator - Because who wants to waste that much food!

My fridge is a sore spot for me - every time I open it, everything is out of place, I forget about food pushed to the back and it is boring. My least favourite day of the week is Tuesday - the day I clean out my fridge. I waste so much food because I don't even remember I have it.

So, I did what I always do and looked for some inspiration!

My favourite idea was using storage containers and trays. It is a great idea. I am able to separate all of my food by type and it is easy to look in the back - just pull out the tray. They even have storage units that are specifically for holding pop cans, eggs and wine sized bottles.

20 Fridge Organization Tips That Put Your Design Skills To The Test:

If you don't want to invest in acrylic trays, try baskets from the Dollar Store or be specific in designating spaces in your fridge for particular items.

The next thing I fell in love with was a Lazy-Susan in your fridge for your condiments. I love condiments. My fridge door is full of them and they are covering the shelves but this is why they are the most often forgotten. They are always the item that ends up at the back of my fridge (along with leftovers). I suddenly remember I bought a new tasty Thai sauce and, when I grab it, it is expired. This Lazy-Susan trick works just like it does on the table - place it on the shelf and spin it to get a quick view of everything you have. Remember, tall stuff goes to the centre!

Another idea is to use white erase labels on your leftover Tupperware. That way you can be sure it really is the chicken you had two days ago. It is also a great idea to write the date it is bad by (not the date it was stored) that way the kids (and spouses) know when not to eat it anymore.

The last idea I found was to keep a white board (or use your fridge if it is actually yours) to keep track of what items are in your fridge. This will help you know what is there, and may be hidden, as well as what you need to get. It will also limit the amount of time you spend opening and closing the fridge.
Or use a dry erase marker on your fridge door.

I also found an idea for sassing up your fridge. Add removable mats (made out of cupboard liners) or even mac tack the shelves. This adds personality and makes it easier to clean up if something spills. No more taking out the shelves or breaking your shoulder to reach the back of the lower shelf.

Line your shelves with easy-to-clean mats.

No comments:

Post a Comment