Wednesday 11 November 2015

Space Saving Pallet Furniture


One of our readers mentioned using pallets and mason jars to create some great storage units and shelves. Being inspired I decided to source out some ideas that used repurposed pallets. Here is what I found! I shared links to the directions if I could find them. I hope you enjoy.


Pallet Murphy Desk

This idea is a great DIY version of the murphy desk mentioned in my Space Saving Furniture post. The great thing about it being a murphy desk is you can fold it up allowing you to optimize the room based on your needs. It also provides shelving to store office supplies or display you treasures.

The best part is, it appears that the pallet was kept intact. This eliminates the need to deconstruct it.

 

Bathroom Organizer

This  is fantastic but would require a lot of deconstruction and cutting. It may be just as easy to buy some inexpensive wood and work with it.

That being said, this piece does take advantage of an awkward space and allows your things to be organized in an accessible way.

 

Shelving Unit

This unit isn't only for bathrooms, it could be used anywhere in your house. I could see it being used for pots in the kitchen, clothing in the bedroom or even books. How do you think you would use it?
 
 

Shelf

This is another great shelf that could be used in many ways. It could hold kitchen ingredients, books or bathroom trinkets. This shelf also uses the whole pallet, meaning all you need to do is clean it up and give it a coat of paint. This is also a great depth for romance novels and DVDs.
 
 

Wine Rack

This is a great way to use a single piece of furniture in multiple ways. Not only does it store your wine (or sparkling water if you prefer) it also stores and displays you glasses. The shelves could also be used for magazines or other household items.
 

 
Rolling Coffee Table

This table is great because it provides lots of extra storage. You could even create storage crates out of another pallet to use under the table.



Pot Rack

When I saw this, I thought it would make an excellent DIY pot rack which optimizes kitchen storage as discussed in Room by Room - Organizing Your Kitchen.  You would have to be sure it is constructed well for the extra weight but it would help save money to spend elsewhere in your organizing adventures.
 

 
Shelving Unit

This is another storage unit that could be used in many different ways. I love the height and I think it could even be used as a babies changing table with a few adjustments. Again, you could build storage crates out of a pallet to use on these shelves and make this space even more functional.

This was built using new lumber but could easily be done using a pallet. Instructions are available at Remodelaholic.
 

Storage Caddy

This caddy could be used for crafts and tools, a fruit basket, in the bathroom or even be placed on some of the previously displayed shelving units. It is very versatile.

To build this yourself, visit Lovely Greens.



 
Chest

Anybody who has seen my apartment knows that I love suitcases, storage boxes, and chests so this is my favourite idea. It creates extra storage and extra seating so it is space saving.

I think it will likely take more than one skid and a bit of time but the outcome is totally worth it. If I can think of someone to make it for I will definitely be making this.



Bookshelf

This bookshelf looks really fun although it looks like it is being supported by the wall. I would personally make alterations so that it was free standing but that is because I like to be able to put my furniture anywhere I want and there may not always be a wall.


1 comment: